Category Archives: new project
working on the D&AD Nissan competition. This is just a small sneak peak!
a while ago we were given a project which involved working with a documentary photography student to create a book of their photographs.
after lots of changes in design and messing about with the layout to fit the images in nicely we decided it would be nice to have something else within the book, so we decided to would create a few subtle illustrations which had to work well with the images. these didn’t end up taking too long to do and they ended up fitting really well with the photographs.
i sent my book off to a company called blurb and here is what i got back;
oatmeal linen hardcover
proline uncoated paper
inside image and illustration
double page image
oatmeal linen wrap
dust jacket front and back
i’m really pleased with the outcome of this book. the quality finish is what i’m pleased with most. i wasn’t expecting such a well made finished result. i’m happy with the layout as well and the quality of the prints on the paper. i’m considering adding something in to the back of the book but we will see how it goes!
latest project is to rebrand a department of the university. it is known as BARC ( business accountability and responsibility centre). I decided to stay with the idea of a corporate logo design because of what the department does etc. i didn’t want too many bold colours so i ended up sticking with one. here’s the logo i came up with;
these were the first logos i came up with i wasn’t too sure on any of them so i played around a little more and these are my 3 final logos that i will present;
The top two are just a copy of one another but one is in garamond and the other is century gothic, i wanted to give the option of having a modern or traditional type face. the bottom works best wit garamond as the font, and if you look back at the development logos, i made a set of scales in indesign and as i changed the colour to blue the lines disappeared but the main shapes changed to blue, i really liked this random sort of mistake so i’ve decided to stick with it.
i made some business cards to show the logos in use;
These are the business cards i’ve come up with, i’ve tried to keep it simple but with a twist so the logo/design would eventually become recognisable.
After doing the poster I’ve sort of figured out the theme I style I want to go for. I always wanted an elegant spacious look and feel to each piece but at the beginning of the project I was unsure how to create this in an effective way. After a ton of research in to various different typographic styles and general magazine browsing I managed to get the look I wanted. I played around a lot in InDesign but I hope from the poster people can see what I’m trying to do. Here’s my invite;
This is my final invite, I may do a few others with different shaped corners and and maybe a portrait version but I’m happy with the outcome as it stands.
I used Helvetica Neue Ultralight. It’s by far my favourite font, people may think it’s an obvious choice but it’s elegant, easy to read and it looks nice on paper. I decided to have a black and white theme because of the “Faces” theme which I explained in a previous post. I have set both logos as black and white to keep with the black and white. The only bit of colour I have added which is a link to the universities original logo and general colours. Blue works quite well against the black, I chose a bright-ish colour blue to stand out more but not to have too much of a striking impact when people read the invite.
I finally got my poster finished. I decided to change quite a bit with it. This was my latest one until I completely swapped it all around;
After we FINALLY got the correct text through which took a ridiculous amount of time to receive I could start to plan out where I wanted things to go. I hierarchy has to be spot on for a poster, because it could just be glanced at but it still has to put a message across straight away. I like the image on this poster, and the top half. I hate how the list of degrees is, I cannot work out where to put it, I could have a bit more of a play around but I mainly wanted everything on the left hand side. So then I decided to turn the whole thing landscape and see what I could do. This is it;
This is my FINAL poster. (unless the text gets changed AGAIN). I was persuaded to add a colour and surprisingly I actually really like it. I thought blue because that’s a strong colour within the university. I wanted the entire image to be black and white with really simple, elegant text around it so it doesn’t take too much attention away from the image but it’s still clear that it needs to be read to understand the purpose of the image fully. I’ve kept the logo at the top near-ish to the title so people sort of catch it out of the corner of their eye. It’s clear what graduate show means (university obviously) but I didn’t want to put newport in striking colours so the logo following on i thought was a good idea. I have a bit of welsh translation within the poster but i don’t want to overcrowd too much obviously. I’m pleased with how this has turned out but guaranteed more things will come forward in the next few days and it will have to be changed completely again!